Poisonous Plants to Puppies

by Perfect Puppy Care on February 8, 2010

Hemlock

Puppies and many varieties of plants can be a deadly match. If your puppy has eaten any kind of plant and you are not absolutely sure it is nontoxic to the dog, contact your veterinarian immediately. Many plants – indoor and outdoor – can be fatal to your puppy and you cannot count on the fact that the plants humans can ingest are also safe for dogs.

The best thing you can do to keep your puppy safe is to keep houseplants out of the dog’s reach. Immediately pick up all debris that falls from the plants so that the puppy that loves to chew everything does not eat it.

If you have a lot of plants adorning your yard, it might be a good idea to restrict your puppy’s access to them. It only takes a second for a puppy to eat something he or she shouldn’t.

The following information is a partial list of some of the most toxic plants for puppies. Additional information is available at poison control centers, which are commonly listed in telephone books and online at sites such as www.aspca.org, but the best source is probably your puppy’s veterinarian.

Do not let the puppy have apricot stems, bark or seed pits.

Azaleas can be very toxic, causing stomach irritation and pain, an abnormal heart rate and rhythm, convulsions, coma and even death.

Castor beans are very toxic and can prove fatal to a puppy. Ingestion can cause excessive thirst, nausea, stomach pain, dehydration, bloody diarrhea, shortness of breath, muscle twitching, convulsions and coma.

The leaves and berries of English ivy can cause death if eaten by a puppy. Other symptoms include stomach problems, troubled breathing and coma.

All parts of the water hemlock are extremely toxic to puppies. Death can occur in as little as 15 minutes. Symptoms include dilated pupils, muscle spasms, frothing at the mouth and convulsions.

Johnsongrass, which is thought of as a nuisance in many areas, can cause anxiety, convulsions, coma and death.

Jimson weed is very toxic. Symptoms include rapid pulse and breathing, nervousness, twitching, dilated pupils, diarrhea, weak pulse, convulsions and death.

Nightshade can be fatal. Signs of ingestion can cause a puppy to lose his or her coordination as well as severe stomach upset, diarrhea, hallucinations, dilated pupils, rapid heartbeat, weak pulse, bloat and paralysis.

Onions, chives and shallots are not suitable for ingestion by puppies. They can cause anemia, nausea, vomiting, bloody urine and cardiac arrhythmia.

Pigweed can cause labored breathing, weakness, coma and death.

Pokeweed can cause anemia, colic, diarrhea and death in some instances.

Rhubarb ingestion can lead to death in puppies. Symptoms include increased drinking and urination, breathing problems and weakness.

Please note that there are many more plants that prove to be hazardous to puppies. As a pet owner, you must be sure to constantly supervise your puppy’s activities. If you recall nothing else from this article, remember that time is of the essence when it comes to treating a puppy for ingesting poison. When in doubt, call the vet immediately!

Previous post:

Next post: